Sunday, January 2, 2011

Turkeys

I had the week of Thanksgiving off from school so my parents asked me to make them some festive cupcakes for work. I decided to make turkeys which ended up being a lot more work than I anticipated but they turned out SUPER cute!

Because my parents needed 4 dozen cupcakes I enlisted helped so we could finish them faster. I had my husband rolling out caramels and then using cookie cutters to cut them into the shape above.

My mom and dad made the turkey legs by using extra caramel and molding it onto pretzels.

To make the turkey shaped I put a scoop of vanilla frosting on top of the cupcakes and then molding the caramel around the frosting. Some turned out better than others because the caramel would stick to the cupcakes sometimes or get odd creases in it.
Once the turkey were shaped we dipped the end in Grape Nut cereal and green sprinkles to look like stuffing.

To attach the legs you just put a drop of water on the caramel and hold it against the other piece of caramel. There is also a little bit ot white frosting on the tips of the legs. Above is a picture of the final product! I was going to put some 'lettuce' around the turkeys but I decided against it.
These cupcakes were really good and a lady my dad works with bought another two dozen from me for Thanksgiving so I ended up making 6 dozen total! You just have to make sure to bite through the cupcake and frosting first before biting through the caramel otherwise you'll take of the entire caramel piece in one bite!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment