Monday, July 12, 2010

Chocolate Butterlies

These cupcakes were the most time consuming cupcakes I have made, but they tasted great! I made a dozen of them for a friend to give take to a birthday party.


The first thing I did was make the butterfly wings and antenna. You have to get chocolate wafers in two different colors and melt them in ziploc bags. Then you cut a small hole in one corner of the bag and push the chocolate out in the design. I started with the brown outside area first and then did the inside green part. You have to do this quickly because the chocolate sets up fast after you put it in the design you want. After you have filled in the two colors you have to tap the pan on the counter to get them to flatten and mis so they look smooth. This part of making the cupcakes took me about THREE hours!







To put the cupcake together you put two M&M's about an inch apart on the cupcake to angle the wings of the butterfly. Then you place the antenna in between the wings

Then you take chocolate frosting and pipe the body to cover up the end of the antenna and the edges on the wings.
Here is the first dozen that I completed. The assembly of the cupcakes was really fast and easy compared to making the wings, but if you want to make them be sure to plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to make the wings and antenna! I did them the night before I assembled them so the assembly was quick.




No comments:

Post a Comment